Monday, August 29, 2011

Trying out a new recipe!

I really enjoy cooking but it's so easy to get stuck in a rut, making the same thing over and over (ok, maybe not over and over but once a week). When this occurs, when I get stuck in a rut, this is when I dislike cooking and I begin to waste money on take-out. To remedy this problem, I take a few minutes to surf the web for some fun and easy recipes. It's especially fun when I can find something that doesn't take very long, I have most of the ingredients already, and all I have to do is prep it. Fancy (code name for my fiance, Justin) grills it(!). So today I discovered just the recipe!






Spicy Honey-Chipotle Wings (check them out here) just scroll down the page to find it. This recipe takes 5 minutes to prep, an hour to marinate and 8 to 10 minutes to grill! Even if you don't have any of the ingredients, there aren't a lot of them AND most importantly the ingredients aren't very expensive. Quick to make AND budget friendly! It's a win win!


Ingredients:
  • Chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce- $2.09
  • Honey- you only need 2 Tbsp for the recipe and the smallest Publix had was 8oz for $2.65
  • Kraft BBQ sauce- $1.65
  • Wings- $5.51
Total: $11.90


Recipe:
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 cup Kraft Original BBQ sauce, divided
  • 1 lb chicken wings, split, tips discarded
Directions:
  • Mix peppers, honey and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Pour over chicken in shallow bowl (you can use a ziploc bag instead, I find this better coats the meat!), toss to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour to marinate.
  • Heat grill to medium heat, remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Grill wings 8-10 minutes or until done, turning every 5 minutes or so.
  • Place wings in large bowl, add remaining BBQ sauce, toss to coat.
** the recipe says to warm up the BBQ sauce that you are going to top the finished wings with, this way the wings and the sauce are both nice and hot!**


I also made Fancy's Aunts pasta salad (I LOVE that stuff!) it's super easy(!) and it makes a tasty side!


You will need:
  • Any type of pasta you want! (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight- $1.98)
  • Mini pepperoni ($3.69)
  • red onion, diced (if you don't feel like dicing your own onion, Publix sells it already diced in the produce section located in the cooler! And it's on sale!- $2.50)
  • "Matchstick" carrots ($1.69)
  • Grape tomatoes (2/$4.00, I bought two)
  • Usually I would include black olives, because I love them, but Fancy hates olives so no olives for us!
  • Ken's light northern italian dressing ($3.99)
Total: $17.85


Directions:
  • Heat water to boiling and dump in pasta, cook until tender. Make sure not to over cook pasta! (it's very easy to do!)
  • Drain pasta, rinse with cold water
  • Place pasta in large tupperware as you will be covering it and putting it in the fridge
  • Coat pasta with dressing (make sure not to use the whole bottle, you'll need some for later)
  • Cover and chill for 30 minutes
  • Mix in all desired ingredients into tupperware with pasta, coat with more dressing
  • Chill for another 30 minutes
There you have it! Grand Total: $29.75 An easy and delicious meal for under $30, that's about what Fancy and I spend at Chili's... and that's without any alcohol!


Thanks for reading!

No comments: